How is it that my child is always the one child that won't sit still, won't pay attention, won't be peacful and calm? I registered for parent and 2's story time at the library (thanks Nicole ) for the month of February. We had our first session this morning. There were 10 other kids and parents. ALLLLLL the other kids sat with their repsective parent and listened to the lady tell and read stories with props or books. My child (Gwendolyn)....
ran up to Miss Kitty every few minutes and was always told to go sit back down with your mom.
Spun circles on her ass while intending to sit on the carpet and pay attention.
Sat so close to the poor little girl on the bench behind us that she was forced to go sit in her mothers lap and hide her face.
Tried to overtalk Miss Kitty and tell all the other kids about the whale that was painted on the wall.
I swear I am not a bad parent, but that child has too much energy and won't sit still or listen to me or Dad or a Grandparent. I try and stress that you HAVE to listen to the teacher, she is in charge. If you are not listening, we are leaving. I have been talking up teacher authority for a while in hopes that she takes it serious and treat the future pre-school teacher with repsect. It is just emberassing to always be the parent that is calling your childs name and trying to get them to mind. I feel like a failure and I feel like it is taking away from the enjoyment of the other participants. Has anyone heard old school Bill Cosby and the bit he does about the little kid on the plane and how everyone knew the kids name by the end of the flight from hearing the mom hollar it sooo many times. That would be me and Gwendolyn. I sooo relate to that.
I want one of those kids who will sit and listen. Is that asking too much? She will sit and listen at home and loves books, but when we get into a group setting like that she loses her mind and all sense of right and wrong. I had hope that Owen would be my cuddler, but he seems to be outgrowing that and becoming more independent and curious. Maybe the next one?? someday?
If I could only bottle this energy, I could make millions. Millions I tell ya!!
Thursday, February 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
(((hugs))) "Jeffrey! Come here Jeffrey!" Oh, I know that old Bill Cosby well. I think she might just be learning how to behave in social situations. If she gets it at home, she'll get it in these times, too. But maybe you need to make good on the threat and just leave if she's not behaving? Just a thought. Either way... (hugs) I know it's so frustrating.
Yep, Jeffrey is it!!! LOL
I think I made good on the threat once at tumble class and it lasted a few sessions after that. I hate being the big person sometimes.
P won't sit still either. At gymboree she is a wild thing and she is always squirming around at the library too.
Hang in there! I think parent embarrassment is just part of storytime with two year olds. Last Friday I was the woman carrying a screaming 2 year old, a car seat, a crying six month old, and a stack of books out of the Berry Room. Sometimes they're not in the mood to listen. The lego table can be a good diversion as in, "Do you want to sit and listen to a story or do you want to play legos?" If they choose the legos, you can always ask after five minutes if they want to return to the story time.
Good thought Nicole. I need to swallow my pride sometimes and admit defeat.
*hugs"
I think as others have already said, it may take a couple more times for her to get used to it... reinforced by making good on your threat to leave, etc.
Post a Comment