Thursday, April 24, 2008

In-State travel is doomed

Last summer we tried to travel as a family and I ended up with an ectopic pregnancy and had to fly home. This winter we drove to Anchorage and had to cut our trip short due to hand foot mouth disease rearing its ugly head 20 minutes from our destination.
This weekend we took the motorhome to Anchorage for a hockey tournament for Matt. Gwendolyn was just getting past the worst of her cold and Owen was just starting. I was chalking up Owens fever to the same thing Gwendolyn just had. Today it progressed worse and he looked so miserable. He had a rash on his cheeks and his arms were starting to show signs of rash. Doing what any mother of my generation does, I googled his symptoms. Scarlet fever and fifths disease were the two possibilities. We decided that it was enough to warrent a trip to an unknown location containing an unknown doctor.
He was a terror for the poor dr, crying if she even looked at him. She was able to see well enough into his mouth during a scream to see the misery he was in. Yep, strep throat was the verdict. She gave me the option of amoxacillian twice a day for 10 days or ONE shot in the leg. Heck yeah I will take the shot option. He didn't like my choice, but it was so much better than trying to force medicine into him. That normally results in him barfing up half of what I give him. 5 hours later and he is back to his normal self and the rash is almost gone. Amazing. I just hope he doesn't give it back to Gwendolyn. We should be good to go in the next couple days that we will be able to have fun during out weekend.
But I am starting to think there is a curse on our In-State travels.

6 comments:

CrunchyCon said...

I'm pretty much with you on the traveling. And heck yeah, I would've taken the shot over the amox. any day!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should head south. You guys could thaw out or somethin'. It's suppposed to be in the low 80's today.

erika said...

Oh my! I'd certainly opt for the shot, too. I'm glad it worked so quickly!

erika said...

Oh my! I'd certainly opt for the shot, too. I'm glad it worked so quickly!

Anonymous said...

Wow - you have had terrible luck! Poor you and poor Owen!
-Beth

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know that you could get a shot! Poor Owen!

-sb