Thursday, May 26, 2005
Damn Mosquitos
We spent the morning in the Dr.s office. What I thought was a goose egg on Gwendolyns forehead from a fall was in fact a bug bite. This morning her whole forehead was swollen about an inch out and was about to creep down into her eyes. Talk about panic, but kept my cool overall, hormonal as I am. We got into the Dr and he said she just reacts bad to mosquitos, thank that part has been obvious for a while. Any bite she gets swell to twice the size it sould be and gets a scabby head to it. She never seems bothered by them and was mildly bothered by her forehead. The head/face being so vascular makes them react different. He put her on Zyrtec for 5 days and gave us more to use sporadically for the rest of summer. I have to watch her forehead and if it turns bright red and seems painful, then it could have turned into staf infection. He does not recommend using bug dope at all because of the deet, just to keep her covered. Dh is at the store right now to buy a mosquito machine. They are said to eliminate all mosquitos within an acre. You empty out a bagfull every day or so. I would say $300 is worth a normal headed baby. Is you are unaware, Alaska is the mosquito capital of the World, they are everywhere!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Tea Tree Oil is a great natural bug repellant. Get some soap and some lotion and smear her up good. There are a TON of great herbal remedies and I'm happy to ask a friend of mine who is a herbalist to suggest some for kids. Don't have to resort to deet, babe. Us hippie moms have options for ya! Let me know if you want me to look into this for you.
So sorry it sounds aweful. Geat some bat houses, and wear light clothes and avoid bananas!
Here's a cool site.
http://www.mosquito-kill-net.com
Good Luck!
Why no bananas? Those are almost a daily eat. I am very open to natural remedies, bring them on. We are keeping her more covered while outside, but they still exist and bite. Is tea tree not too harsh for baby skin? Thanks for the feedback.
OK, I've got the question out to my herbal people and will get back to you when they do!
Post a Comment