Tuesday, January 23, 2007

He can be taught....

but apparently not too fast. I have been working with Owen on sign language for months now and he had not used a sign yet, just giggled at me when I sign things to him. But, he must have been paying a little attention at some point. He signed food a couple days ago, a few times - so not a fluke. I still can't get "all done" or "more" or "please". Those are the only ones I have been faithfully trying. I need to look up the one for water or drink, that one would be usefull, if he will learn it. Owens' cousin Matia has a good sign vocabulary, from home and her two day a week babysitter. I am hoping some of that will rub off on him.

I was always amazed and proud of how quick Gwendolyn picked it up and learned that she could use signs for many instances. For example, she learned "all done" fairly easy and then determined that she could sign that to be done with a bath, play, book, nap, anything. It didn't just mean all done with her food like I was teaching.

Are these attributes any indication of how they will learn come school time??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems like they are going to be classic examples of how boys and girls are wired differently!

erika said...

I agree with Jules... : ) at least he's learning, right?

AK Alter Ego said...

I'll take little positives, at least he is learning. LOL

Beth said...

All done is a good start!