Friday, January 19, 2007

BBBBBB's and other random babe things

Every word in Owen vocabulary, besides Momma :), starts with a B.
He likes ball, book, ba?, bye.
Beyond these being his favorite and only words, they are also his favorite things. He loves balls and migrates to anything ball shaped. He was chasing a balloon around my parents house when I left him this morning.
Owen has a smile that just makes a person burst out laughing, but I have yet to get it captured. I call it his snaggle tooth grin. He scrunches up his nose and smiles big, while showing off his tooth and a quarter on the top row. He has verrrrry slow growing teeth and these top two have been taking forever to come in. In the meantime we get to enjoy and laugh at the snaggle tooth grin. Love it and him!!

Gwendolyn is growing up too fast in my opinion. Her grasp of the english language, the primary language in her world (Dora speaks spanish and she has a few Eskimo words) amazes me. She is formulating sentences and is able to answer questions, not just repeat the question. Not sure how to explain it, she obviously gets her thought process from elsewhere, LOL. When I would call my niece Brooke at around this age and ask her how she was or what she was doing, there was normally silence. I decided I didn't want to talk on the phone with toddlers till they could answer these basic questions. Once they can, then they are able to carry on conversation. Gwendolyn has reached the point that she can do these things and I am tickled. It makes calling her during the day a fun thing to do and brings a smile to my face. Prior it just brought a smile to others faces to listen to my one sided conversation, laughing at me and my baby talk.
She has also went the last two nights diaperless. My baby is growing up. The YiYi (pacifier) has went away at both grandparents houses during the last two weeks. Our house is next. She has only had it during nap and night sleep since she turned 1 and that is also the only time Owen is allowed it. Maybe she won't get it when we come back from Hawaii, having gone 7 nights without it at that point. Hopefully that will be an ideal goodbye YiYi transition time. I had planned on 3 years old being it, but this will just be a few weeks prior.
She can also open the gate at the top of the stairs. I came home from work the other night to find Gwendlyn waiting for me at the top of the stair, with the gate OPEN. I greet her and ask her if Daddy had opened it and she says no, Gwendolyn did it. I make her show me and sure enough, she can open the fancy, unopenable baby gate. Arggggg, I repeat many times, you are not allowed to open it when Owen is awake. Yeah, that will last long. Owen is pretty good about turning around and going down butt first, but I don't like the idea of risking it.
The only positive is that she can now be helpful in the morning and open the gate for me when I have my hand full with Owen and the many bags of crap that I seem to need to bring with me for the day. Can I lock her in a closet now and let her out at 21??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. The joys of having children! Hey, the closet thing sounds fab. I'm definitely going to have to give it a go, even if it's just for a few days! ;)

sb said...

OMG, how old is Owen? I can't believe he's talking aready and climbing down stairs. It seems like you just had him a couple of months ago...

AK Alter Ego said...

I find it hard to believe many times, but he turned 1 the day after Thanksgiving. My baby is growing up :(

erika said...

*sigh* I know exactly what you mean. It happens so fast!