Thursday, March 15, 2007

Life changes for a parent

I find myself wondering if I have sacrificed enough of myself to be a mom. I feel like I still have lots of my old identity left. At least once a week I have some extra curricular thing going on, whether it be with a volunteer group I am a member of, an evening out with the girls for Bunko, dinner with hubby, or some other random activity. I feel like I am always pawning off the kids to go do something I would like. Does it make me a bad mom to still have a life or will I instill in my children the value of being well rounded? I gave up softball when I got pregnant with Gwendolyn and haven't done it again yet. I miss it, but have sacrificed that for the kiddos. I don't remember my mom having much of a life when we were little. My parents life was us kids, as coaches, chauffeurs, supporters, or parents. I wonder what my kids will think of their mom when they reflect back on their youth.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I think you feel guilty no matter what you do. Hugs! You have to do whatever makes YOU the best parent possible, and don't worry about what others do.

erika said...

I agree with Beth! If what you are doing works for you, then it's the right thing... no matter what. Your kids don't know any other way - so as long as they feel loved and secure, then whatever else is gravy. (((hugs)))

sb said...

I agree as well. I think the most important thing is that your kids know they are loved and do come first above all.