Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Lock them in a closet now

Wow, I attended a nine hour gang awareness training yesterday. The realities of the World make me want to lock my babies in a closet and let them out in 20 years. I live in a secluded corner of the World and should not have to face these realities. We have a lot of Military and various other transplants that bring to "real world" to Alaska and we are starting to see a gang issue.
There were pictures of gang memebers during the presentation and I was amazed at the split personalities of a few of the people. You would see this nice innocent looking little girl in one picture and then the next she was yeilding a semiautomatic gun and throwing gang signs, looking all evil. I think she is sticking in my mind the most she it was a female and my oldest is a female. Makes me ever more determined to send them to a small private school and shelter them. I know that is not the answer, there are many more factors in how a person turns out, but I've got to think it will help.
It is very scary being a parent and I don't see it getting any easier.

4 comments:

erika said...

I prefer to live in a state of denial, which doesn't help either. (((hugs))) it just gets harder and harder the older they get.

sb said...

I know... it is scary. They talk about how gangs are in the suburbs. I live in a pretty tame little town and people swear to me that there is a gan presence in my town! I wonder if our parents worried about us... or if things have difinitely gotten worse.

CrunchyCon said...

I'm sending my kids off to a deserted island somewhere. Yep.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a closet big enough for all my kids. :(
It really is quite scary to think about what our kids have to deal with. Even my tiny town isn't isolated enough from some things I'd rather my kids not know.