Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Oh how life changes

A little about me:
I am 29 years old (Marita) and am married to a wonderful man (Matt) and have a (barely) 1 year old daughter (Gwendolyn). We live in Alaska and I have lived here essencially all my life, more on that in a future Blog. I work in the Non-profit field at a Youth Court. This is a diversion from the formal Juvenile Justice system. We have youth judges and attorneys that handle cases of their peers. I have worked here for over 5 years. I have both my parents and one brother, who is married to a wonderful woman. My parents live here and my brother just moved back after receiving his PhD in Geology. I hope that they are able to have a baby soon, they would be wonderful parents. My husband is an only child and his parents also live here. That means we have a spoiled child. We are also the parents to a furbaby, Duke the mighty Yorkie, also spoiled. We would like to get pregnant again soon, but will take that as it happens. I would like 4 kids and my husband is willing to go along at this point. We were married June 9, 2001 and had been together 3 years prior to that. We got together at the very end of my College days, a month shy of graduation. I was ready to settle down and grow up and we fit together perfect.

I was driving home yesterday and started reflecting on how my life has changed in the last 8 years. I used to be this "wild" party girl, not unlike the two girls driving in front of me, not a real care in the World. They were driving, sharing a cigarette and laughing. I saw myself at 22, driving along with either Gretchen or Jenn, headed to the Red Fox for beer after class. No major responsibilities, make it to class, write paper, go to work. I yearned for the right turn that would take me to those carefree days of hanging out at the Red Fox. Yet, I would not give up anything that I have now. I am now a married woman, own our home in hills, drive a suburban, work a very meaningful (degree necesary) job, and most important I am a mom. I could never go back and often feel pity for those who are still searching for what will satisfy them. I am thankful to be out of the dating scene and in the comfort of a very loving marriage. I love the role of being a mom. I like how "important" people recognize me in the community and will engage me in significant conversation. Does that make me a snob? Not sure that I care if it does. I feel like I have worked hard to get where I am and am very proud.

Enough rambling for one day. I need to figure out how to link people on the right side of my screen. Back for more later.

No comments: