I used to smoke. I smoked for a little over 10 years, starting when I was around 14. I quit on Christmas eve 2000. I didn't want to be a bride standing there in her wedding dress with a cigarette hanging from her lips. Wasn't an image I wanted. I still want a cigarette at least once a week. I am smart enough to know that I cannot be a casual smoker, it is either all or nothing with me. I could never understand some of my friends who could just smoke when we were out drinking and then have nothing to do with it the rest of the week. There are times it smells so appealing that I feel my heart start to race and I salivate. Crazy the way an addiction can control a person.
I now find myself addicted to Chai tea, namely the brand Big Train that comes in powdered form that you milk with steamed milk. WOW, it is so good. I like the spiced flavor the best, but will drink the vanilla or chocolate too. It has started to bother me that I DO feel addicted to drinking this stuff. I am realizing this and have started to limit the amount of times I am allowed it during a given week. Monday is double punch day at the drive thru coffee shot, so that is my splurge day. The stuff is expensive and fattening, plus I feel addicted. How do I feel addicted you wonder? I get raging lack of caffine headaches if I don't start my morning off with one. I can barely stay awake to get through the day if I don't have one. I am addicted to caffine. It effects me in the biggest way. I don't tend to drink caffinated things while pregnant, definately not while nursing under 6 months of age. So, that is a fairly long time to go without caffine. Once I start introducing caffine back into my body I talk really fast and shake a little and there is no going to sleep for me till at least 8 hours have passed. Crazy I tell you!!
With this new goal of limiting the Chia intake, I find myself talking me out of buying a chai practically everyday. Conversations in my head go along the lines of "you can do it, keep driving past, you don't need chai, you are stronger than that". Other days it is more "you got up and out of the house early for Church, you deserve to stop, or, you have a long day ahead of you, you need it". I can rationalize anything I want. But it bothers me that I feel addicted to chia. It is helping me understand my husbands need for coffee in the morning. Up till now, I never really got it. Coffee tastes and smells like crap and I couldn't understand a persons need to drink that crap to start the day off. Chia on the otherhand tastes like heated up heaven in a cup!! I'm drooling, luckily it is monday and that is double punch day, so I am allowed the indulgance.
Monday, March 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I can't tell you how many times I've forced myself to just drive past the Starbucks instead of stopping... sometimes I'm near tears when I do it, but I think I, too, am addicted to Chai. : (
I've never had an addiction to something that I consume, but I know there was a time when I was totally addicted to the Garden. It is hard to break an addiction, that's for sure. Is it so bad to have a cup a day?
BLASPHEMER!!! Coffee is sent from the gods to make me a nicer person in the morning.
LOL! :gig:
sb, I can totally relate to the Garden addiction. I think I am still there.
It's not that it is so bad to have, I just don't like the feel of being addicted to something. But it tastes soooo good!! That and the fattening aspect goes against the whole diet plan.
CK - LOL, I'm all about a happy mommy.
I quit smoking over 10 years ago, and some days it still smells good.
Coffee is non-negotiable, LOL.
I know what you mean about not liking feeling like you're addicted to something. I feel that way about coffee, I didn't really *mean* to become addicted, it started out as a way to make up for not sleeping at night. But somehow, here I am, at 11:20 in the morning, with a raging headache from not having had coffee yet. I'm walking into the kitchen now to fix it. I could be worse, I hear crack is really bad for you.
I am definitely addicted to the Garden!
Post a Comment