Thursday, March 29, 2007

Technologically depressed

I came across an article recently that mentioned how different things will be for the upcoming generation of kids versus how it was for me 15-25 years ago. I can remember road trips with my family with such fond memories. My brother and I would be in the back of the truck, the back seat of the car or truck, or even in the camper on the back of the truck. We had each other to rely upon for entertainment. We would spend hours making up games or playing old reliable ones. I can remember a game of War (card game) that lasted a whole weekend. We would occasionally allow the other to cheat, just to keep the game going. My bother is 18 months older than me and apparently was a quicker thinker than me. One of his favorite games was for me to "draw" on his back with my fingernails and he would guess what I was drawing. Looking back on it, I know he was just trying to get a back scratch out of me. Another that was a frequent favorite was to sing a part of a song and see if the other could guess either the title or the artist. I sucked at that one and still do, Matt tries to get me to play that even now. As a family we traveled all over the State of Alaska, but we always managed a few weekends a summer in Valdez. Valdez is 350 miles from home. That made for long hours on the road. I loved it!!
My concern with how things will be different for my children is the lack of imagination they will be afforded. Keep in mind this is all a choice and we are the ones doing the raising of these kids. I can already see how road trips will pan out in the future....got the DVD's for the player in the car?? Check!! Everyother time we get in my Yukon, Gwendolyn is asking to turn on the movie player. If she doesn't then Owen is grunting and pointing in his so eloquent way. If we are going to be driving for a while, I will allow that treat and turn on Bugs Life for them (that was in the car when we bought it and I haven't brought another movie to the car yet, so that is the only choice). They are starting to take it for granted and want it everytime. My reaction, NO!! This brought me around to thinking about how I entertained myself on road trips and how they are demanding stimuli on a cross town 15 minute run. Hey kids, bring a book or sing a song.
Speaking of singing a song, I never got around to completing CK's tag, since only one of the CD's in my Yukon are mine. I have a 6 disc changer and they (Gwendolyn) have taken pocession of 5 of them. My one CD is what you wonder? Eurithmics, yea baby, LOL. Pathetic the way I am being run out of my own car.
I just want to take things back to the basics and have my children be less technological than they seem to be heading. I am keeping my foot down on no TV in their room, phone doesn't matter anymore, they are all portable anyway. It is all very depressing.

6 comments:

erika said...

I agree with you 100%. My rule is that the car trip has to be over 2 hours to warrant the DVD. Otherwise you can keep yourselves happy. And really, there is no reason for a TV in their room, and they will never ever ever have a computer in their own room. Read a book for goodness sakes! Play a game! Use your head! ((hugs))

CrunchyCon said...

I am guilty of the short car trip DVD. However, that is one of the few times DH and I can talk, so *shrug*.

No TV and no computer in their rooms.

sb said...

I hear ya... and I kwym about being run out of your own car!

Beth said...

I totally feel the same way!

Anonymous said...

When we bought our van we had to special order one without the DVD player in it. We did buy a portable 2 screen one for when we drive up to NC and VA since that's an insanely long ride, but otherwise it doesn't even live in the car. I'm with you on no TV in their room, we're debating on whether to have an old clunker computer without internet connection for them later on (no games).

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only meanie. No phone, tv, computers in the bedroom. They only get the video games on the weekends. Our portable DVD lives in my closet, and we only use it once a year to go to Vermont...just the ride up and back, not while we are out and about there.

I will admit, though, some days I think it's all in vain. Depressing, aren't I? LOL