Monday, February 11, 2008

Weekend getaway from hell

Matt and I decided at 11:30 thursday night that it was too freaking cold (-45) and we ought to get away for the weekend to Anchorage. Sounded fabulous. We each called into work on friday for a mental health day and load up into the Yukon. We called first to see if we could stay with the Anchorage crew.
The drive down went great, got warmer the further south we went. Right around the start of Eagle River, half an hour from our destination of Anchorage and all our fun weekend plans, Owen started complaining about his feet and wouldn't eat his goldfish, he kept chewing and spitting them out. Oh NO, the hand, foot, mouth disease they were exposed to on Monday (the one day a week they go to daycare) and I thought they had escaped, was rearing it's ugly head. I call my mom and she calls around to hotels for us. I call Cassie and let her know we will not be staying there, in fact we will be keeping our distance from her four kids. I count my blessings that we discovered HFM disease prior to getting to their house, I would have felt horrible if we exposed them.
So, after we spent 6 hours in the car, in car seats restrained, we will now go lock the kids in a hotel room and convince them that this is our fun trip. Since we are now driving home tomorrow after doing NOTHING FUN!! I do have pictures of the room and the kids on the drive, LOL.
The drive home was less enjoyable for all, there was nothing to look forward to. But all in all, they were champs and the DVD player the came in the Yukon is to be worshipped. They are feeling pretty good and I would have to estimate that they both have very mild versions of the disease. Gwendolyn has a couple sores in her mouth and on her hands and Owen complains about his mouth, but shows no signs.
Such is life with kids....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! Being stuck in a hotel with sick kids is hell. (((hugs)))

subarctic mama said...

Bummer. Sometimes the spirit -45 below follow you when you try to leave.

ArcticAngel said...

i'm glad you made it home safe...we were worried about you and bummed not to see you! Craig may be hunting over Gwendolyns b-day and I might come up w/ the kids if I can swing the days off. no promised other than to try :)
I'm glad your kiddos got a mild version especially being so little!
Miss you Love Cassie