Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I don't want to get old

I took the kids to a local old folks home last night for a monthly birthday party that we help throw. Normally I don't venture around the building, just stay in the commons for cake and entertainment. I knew that the old man who lived next to my parents my whole life had just moved there. I went in search of him and man was it depressing. We found him and said hi and that we would check in on him next month as well, he was getting ready for bed. It was slightly depressing seeing such a strong, active man, cut down like that. He now has Parkinsons.
The really hard part was seeing all the elderly sitting around the hallways in wheelchairs, lonely. I think 3/4 of them were just waiting for someone willing to visit them. Tons of people called out hellos to my kids as we roamed around. Gwendolyn bailed on me at one point and circled back around to a living room area and was pushing RoseMary around in her chair. We had met her because she stopped us to ask where she was supposed to be. I had no idea and told her I would find her someone. I told the nurse in my friends room, like I promised. We ended up pushing this lady around the building five times, looking for Kathy or her room (my idea to look for her room). She would get mad at me if I tried to help Gwendolyn. She would get mad at me if I didn't tell her where Kathy was. I left her where I found her once, but Gwendolyn escaped me and went back to get her again, thanks child. I left her a second time, after not finding her room in the hallway she said she lived in and took the kids and ran. I saw a young girl that looked like she worked there. I asked if she knew where Kathy was. She said, "oh you must have been pushing RoseMary. Kathy is her daughter and she comes to visit on Saturdays. We tell her she is in North Pole and can't come right now the rest of the week." Just broke my heart. I know people need to have lives and can't spend all their time there, but wow it was sad. I don't want my parents to get old, my in-laws to get old and I don't want Matt and I to get old. My grandfather died of Luekimia the summer Matt and I got together. Otherwise all my family is alive and well in their homes. It hurt to see people living so lonely in their rooms with their tv's or sitting around in hallways in wheelchairs. We had around a dozen that came to our party for bingo, but the rest....so sad.
Matt's grandma fell and broke her hip around a month ago and is in a nursing home in MI. She is a little delusional while she takes pain meds and doesn't always understand who, what, where, and when. It is very hard to be this far away and helpless. They moved back to MI 10 years ago, while all the family is on the west coast. Grandpa visits her every day, but she gets confused where he is, if he is not by her side. He has conceded that they ought to be closer to family and is willing to look into Spokane. That is where lots of my family is, including my grandma with lots of elderly contacts. I hope this works out, it will be great to have them in the same town. I mainly hope and pray that grandma is able to come home.
I still maintain, I don't want to get old

5 comments:

CrunchyCon said...

Rick's great aunt and close family member has dementia and is in a nursing home. When we visited West VA with Raegan, it was probably one of the most depressing things I've ever seen. All of the old people loved seeing Raegan - they get a kick out of kids. It's difficult.

Anonymous said...

It is hard. (((hugs)))

Beth said...

Hugs Marita!

Anonymous said...

Marita - I sure do miss your heart. You will grow old, but your heart and mind belong to the one who keeps you forever alive, so let that alone give you peace of mind.

Life is not supposed to be in our control. It can be devastating and sad, but we CAN have peace of mind. We aren't supposed to always understand OR be able to fix the world's problems--- we simply can't.

We are only required to accept, trust and follow our Master.

(heh heh... every time I say "that's all we need" it makes me think of the movie, The Jerk.)

I love you and miss you oh so much.

erika said...

(((hugs))) it's terribly sad. My grandma had alzheimer's really badly. She and Grandpa lived in a senior community where one part had their own apartments with minimal help, and the rest was a traditional "home". My grandma got so bad that grandpa couldn't care for her in their apartment, so she had to move to the nursing home part, and grandpa visited her every day. It turns out that grandpa passed away first, and when we told grandma, she had no idea he was her husband. She was sad that the "nice man that visited her" wouldn't come anymore. It's just so heartbreaking.